Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 181 -- Slaw And Order -- Part Two

And this is the "order" part of the post.  "Slaw" was yesterday.  I don't know why I put these two posts together, except that these two food related things hit me on the same day.  The actually have nothing to connect them, except a clever title.  And I'm a writer so a clever title trumps an interesting subject.



I've recently become heavily addicted to Starbucks' Green Tea Lattes.  I have them made with soy milk and I ask them not to put the requisite FOUR pumps of sweetener in my grande size.  As an aside, why does every drink at Starbucks have to be loaded with sugar.  The calorie count for the drink without the extra sweetener is about 210 calories according to this blog post on Off The Broiler.  But after drinking quite a few of these, I was beginning to wonder if there was more than just green tea and vanilla soy milk in this drink.

Starbucks doesn't give you a list of ingredients for the drink and I wasn't able to find any information online.  My worst thought was that there was some kind of powdered milk in the product and I'd have to stop drinking it because it contained dairy.  But wouldn't they let people know there was dairy in it, especially when you make a point to order it with soy?

I decided to take my nutrition into my own hands and talk to the barista.  He was very, very helpful and went in back to get a package of the green tea powder they used.  To my relief, it contained only green tea and sugar!  Yes, more sugar from Starbucks.  I am searching for a way to make this drink at home and will report back on the results of my search.  But until then, I'm hitting the Starbucks almost daily to order my Green Tea Latte fix.

So, there you have it!  Slaw and Order.      


No comments:

Post a Comment