Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 169 -- It's Time For Tempeh

A few weeks ago, I bought a package of tempeh.  It was part of my plan to try all three meat "substitutes" -- tofu, tempeh and seitan.  Tofu has become a staple in my diet.  Seitan, not so much.  I really didn't enjoy the chewy meat gluten.  But I have higher hopes for tempeh.  During my recent visit to one of my fav websites, The Post Punk Kitchen, I came across this recipe for Tempeh Chimichurri.


I was immediately intrigued because I've heard of chimichurri, but I've never eaten it.  I don't really know what it is.  It turns out that chimichurri is a sauce for meat that originates in Argentina.  Chimichurri is made from finely chopped parsley (or cilantro), minced garlic, olive oil, oregano, and white or red wine vinegar. Additional flavorings such as coriander, paprika, cumin, thyme, lemon, and bay leaf may be included. In its red version, tomato and red bell pepper may also be added. It can also be used as a marinade for grilled meat. Chimichurri is available bottled or dehydrated for preparation by mixing with oil and water. Somewhat similar sauces are pistou and pesto.

So, I'm about to add two new taste treats to my list of new foods -- tempeh and chimichurri sauce.  Will report back soon.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment