Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 171 -- So Many Good Things To Eat

I don't often get to the big city (Chicago, for me), but when I do, it's nice to add a little more variety to the diet.  As predicted, I fell off the vegan wagon and had cheese -- again.  I'm not sure why I just don't declare myself a vegetarian and be done with it, but I know that dairy products are not so good for me, so I hope that I can learn to deal with that.

Plans for my three-day weekend include a trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, where I will be able to  browse for items not usually found in my small midwestern city, best known for processed meat products.  I did get a chance to enjoy this Asian Edamame and Black Bean Salad which my sister L. picked up at Costco.  After reading the list of ingredients, I'm going to try to replicate it at home.  This version is very heavy on the oil and vinegar dressing which really distracts from the taste of the salad.


I've decided to try to replicate this salad since it is so tasty.  So here goes.  Lighter on the oil.  The dressing is a work in progress, so ch eck back later for the final  recipe and comments.

Asian Edamame and Black Bean Salad
1 pkg. frozen organic edamame
1 15 oz can organic black beans, rinsed
1 can water chestnuts, diced small
1/2 c. carrot, small dice
1/2 c.  red bell pepper, diced small
1/2 cup diced red or sweet onion
1 T. toasted sesame seeds

Dressing
1 T. sesame oil
1 T. canola oil
2 T. rice wine vinegar
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. curry powder
1 t. dried basil

I'm still working on the dressing to get it just right, but this approximates what I used.  I'll work out the proper proportions and post again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment