Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 164 -- Polenta: A New New Food

Yesterday I pondered a deep question -- what is corn?  Is it a vegetable?  A legume?  A grain?  The question only led to more questions until I was so confused I decided the only solution was to cook.  So, I grabbed my grits and whipped up this recipe for Quinoa-Polenta & BBQ Sauce that I found on Straight Up Food.  This is a great website with lots of vegan recipes that are low fat as well.


Polenta is essentially the Italian version of corn grits.  I'd never tasted either one, so this was going to be something new.  But love corn, so how could I go wrong?  I cooked the polenta/quinoa mixture in my rice cooker which made it so much easier.  No stirring, no watching.  Once it was cooked, I spread it in a parchement paper-lined pan and baked it.

The mix of polenta and quinoa in this recipe is so tasty.  And baked, it's like a cross between a bread and a grain.  I didn't make the BBQ sauce and instead used a drizzle of Sweet Baby Ray's, which is a favorite of mine.  And I added a little fajita seasoning to the sauteed veggies and added avocado chunks and sliced scallions as a creamy and crunchy topping.  This is definitely going to go on my favorite list.  So check out Straight Up Food!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment