Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 163 -- Grocery Cart Shame

A few days ago, I was standing in line at the grocery store and remembering how I used to feel when checking out -- shame.  I'd have a cart full of junk food and not a veggie or fruit in sight.  I'd unload my choices and wonder what the people around me were thinking.  I knew what they were thinking -- no wonder she's so fat if she eats that junk every day.



Now, when I go to the grocery store, I find myself analyzing other people's carts.  When I see a lot of packaged junk food, I don't make a judgement, but I do think to myself, oh, please don't eat that stuff.  It's so bad for you.  Of course, I think people should be able to choose exactly what they want to eat and I'd never say that outloud.  But I want to tell them how good it feels when you get rid of processed food and eat whole foods instead.  And if someone asks how I've lost so much weight, I'm very happy to tell them about my vegan diet and my aversion to processed food.

Yesterday, my grocery cart was a thing of beauty.  I had mushrooms, onions, zucchini, avocados, cauliflower, cherries, apples, bananas, a melon, two jars of organic no-fat spaghetti sauce, and  two packages of Boca crumbles (yes, I know they're bad, but I have to get protein!).  I was so proud.  And then I started to think about what other people were thinking -- if that woman eats so healthy, why is she so fat!

I don't care what other people are thinking.  I'm very happy with the changes I"ve made to my diet and that's all that matters to me.  I've just finished week 23 and in just 19 days I will be at the halfway mark in my year as a vegan.  I can't believe how fast time has gone -- or how lucky I am that I stumbled upon this plan.  I could still be back where I was 60 pounds ago -- unhealthy, depressed, uncomfortable.  Thank goodness for  veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment