Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 176 -- Say Cheese! Pimento Cheese!

Whenever I find a recipe that promises a reasonable facsimile of cheese, I'm going to be ready to try it.  I made "parmesan cheese" out of ground cashews and nutritional yeast and I love it.  I made a mac and cheese from butternut squash and nutritional yeast and I was pretty darn tasty.  And I have a recipe for another mac and cheese with Brussels sprouts (Day 167) that I'm going to try this weekend.  And today, I found a recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Fat Free Vegan, for a hummus pimento "cheese" spread.


I love my hummus and I do love cheese, so I decided to give this a try.  It looked like it would be good for spreading on my favorite crackers for a late night snack, maybe with some raw red peppers sliced on top.  If you'd like the recipe, you can find it here.

Though I've never really had pimento cheese, I didn't get a whole lot of cheese flavor from this.  But it is a really tasty hummus.  I'll have to eat it fast since it contains tofu, which tends to go bad pretty quickly, but I don't think that will be a problem.  A roasted veggie sandwich would taste really good with this as a spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment