Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 168 -- My Little Herb Garden

For the first time in forever, I've planted an herb garden (in a large pot) and I'm actually going to love having the herbs available to use.  I've planted herb gardens in the past with the best of intentions, but the only thing I've been interested in eating is the basil.  This time, I planted two kinds of mint (for mojitos, of course), basil, cilantro, dill and Italian Parsley.  These are all herbs that I've purchased from the grocery store since going vegan and now, I can just step out my kitchen door and -- snip, snip -- I have fresh herbs!


I'm really looking forward to having cilantro and parsley at hand.  I have so many recipes that call for these two herbs and I find that when I buy them, half of the bunch usually rots in the fridge.  It's so frustrating to me when food goes bad.  I never used to bother me, but I've been so in tune with the food I eat that I really hate to waste anything.  I'm also thinking of starting a pot of baby greens -- especially my favorite, arugula.  We've had a very cool start to the summer, so maybe I could get a cool weather crop like lettuce to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment