Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 167 -- The Ultimate Comfort Food

There is nothing better than a good mac and cheese.  Now, I have to admit that I've cheese-cheated over the past couple of weeks.  I've eaten real dairy cheese three times in two weeks.  Twice on pizza and once in a cheese soup.  But, I've learned not to be so hard on myself and I'm going to try to get through the next six months without another cheese-cheat.  It's not quite as bad as a meat-cheat, but still not the best for my efforts to shed a few more pounds.  I need "Just Say No!" when it comes to cheese.

To that end, I came across this recipe for Chipoltle Mac and Cheese (with roasted Brussels sprouts!) that I'm looking forward to cooking!  It comes from one of my favorite websites, The Post Punk Kitchen, which features lots of yummy vegan recipes.



I've tried a Mac and Cheese with butternut squash that was pretty passable (see Day 60, February 24th), but this one uses cashews to create the creamy sauce.  Though it's definitely more caloric and higher in fat that the butternut option, I'm thinking I might want to try to combine the two recipes and see if I can find a happy medium.  I will report back and let you know how it was!

ETA: This is really yummy.  But also very spicy.  I used two 1.5 inch chipoltles in adobo sauce in a half recipe.  Next time I make it, I'm going to cut the peppers back by half.  A little too spicy for me, but very creamy and cheese-like.


No comments:

Post a Comment